Ancestral Remembrance Class
Ancestral Remembrance Class
Date: Tuesday evenings, June 23 - August 18, 2015
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Location: 3798 Grand Ave, Oakland, CA
This class is designed to help people of all backgrounds reconnect with our indigenous minds, heritages, and traditions. This work is guided by the ancestors, and requires a stable mind, community, and support system. Working as a group provides safety and context, and magnifies our momentum. Additional counseling is recommended to provide adequate one-to-one care during this time of personal and ancestral transformation.
Course includes guidelines for individual and group safety, an introductory curriculum on community dreaming, decolonization, sex magic, indigenous gender concepts, subjective science, ethnoautobiography, calendrical arts, divination systems, folk arts, how to make offerings, indigenous language, storytelling, indigenous healing and medicine, dream doctoring, relating with gods, nature spirits, a guided walk to connect with Ohlone land, and more.
Materials include weekly readings, homework assignments, compendium of electronic resources, genealogical references, and a private online forum for group check-ins between sessions.
You will present a final project that articulates your journey of Ancestral Remembrance, and integrates your process with the group as your witness to help carry your whole mind forward.
Anyone can benefit from Ancestral Remembrance, including practicing Christians, people who are adopted, and those who follow traditions outside of their genetic heritage. Understanding who we are more deeply in this body expands our capacity and impact in the world.
Be a Portal between Worlds
- Remember and work with your dreams to guide the process of ancestral remembrance and cultivate continuity between day and night.
- Keep clear boundaries with the other world to establish sanity, spiritual hygiene, and balance.
- Integrate the power of your ancestors to live in the strength and courage of your ancient inheritance.
- Interact respectfully with sacred sites to be transformed by their accumulated majesty and ceremonial memory.
- Learn a divination system from your lineage (reading runes, throwing bones, tossing coins or yarrow sticks, fire-gazing, augury, etc.) so you can have a direct line of communication with the spirit world.
Heal Yourself; Heal the Generations
- Process ancestral trauma and genocide to heal yourself (physically, emotionally, and spiritually), your predecessors, and future generations.
- Learn to recognize when you're living an ancestral story that is no longer needed, and how to conclude it.
- Live the inherited stories that empower you, and release those that bind you to experience freedom and meaning.
- Learn your native songs, dances, and cultural arts to share in the joyful expressions of your tribes.
- Address trauma and addiction through an ancestral framework.
- Develop relationships with the land you live on for physical health and well-being on all levels.
Take Root in Your Culture
- Design your regalia (traditional attire) so you can represent the strength, beauty, and glory of your ancestors at ceremonies and special occasions.
- Make a traditional offering to restore our natural state gratitude, and acknowledge reciprocity between worlds.
- Access genealogical testing and resources to learn the story of human migration, and find out why your ancient origins can differ from your known cultural inheritance.
- Learn cultural lore to establish a framework for your experiences, and to participate more consciously with the agendas of your native gods.
- Feel connected to the natural rhythms of your geographical home by participating in appropriate seasonal behavior (such as not sweating in winter and eating with the seasons) to cultivate health every day.
To Register: Application required. $100 deposit due by 6/16
This is a pilot curriculum. Future classes will be priced higher.